We received a very generous donation of $750 from Sweda, our wonderful advertising company. Thank you for being so supportive in so many ways!
3rd Annual Angel Fund 5K
Veterinary Referral & Emergency Center (VREC) are proud to announce that our 3rd Annual Angel Fund 5K will be held on Sunday, June 1, 2014 at McDade Park in Scranton.
You can pre-register via the link below, or in person at our hospital. Pre-registration is $25 until May 12th and is $30 after May 13th. Event registration begins at 8 a.m. until 8:45 a.m., with a race start time of 9 a.m. The course is stroller friendly and kids under 12 are FREE!
The first male and female runners, each with their canine companion, win an award. All participants receive a free Angel Fund race T-shirt plus refreshments! We will also have a bake sale and BBQ available. Some activities include K-9 Unit Police demo, face painting, pet photography, and basket raffles and more. So before, during, and after the race, please stay and participate in fun for the whole family, but especially our 4 legged family members!
Angel Fund 5K Sponsors
All proceeds will go directly to the Veterinary Referral & Emergency Center’s Angel Fund.
What is the Angel Fund?
The Angel Fund was first formed when a few wonderful clients donated money to provide care for other pets. From its inception, VREC had programs to help shelters, rescue organizations and canine police teams, but the Angel Fund was different, in that it would help responsible owners who simply needed financial support. To keep the fund open, VREC created fundraising events, such as the first annual Angel Fund 5K in May 2012. In just under 3 years that VREC has been open, we have been able to help approximately 30 pets with emergency and advanced medical care.
There’s No “I” In Team
The Veterinary Referral & Emergency Center has a great commitment to the Angel Fund. All of the doctors donate 100% of their advanced training and time to help these animals in need. VREC donates all hospitalization and procedural fees – the only charge to the Angel Fund is the cost of supplies and medications that it takes to help these animals and their owners. VREC also pulls no money from the fund to manage or administrate the fund. This is a true labor of love from our doctors, staff and management.
How Can I Help?
To support the Angel Funds continued growth, VREC developed a committee to oversee fundraising, promotion and management of the fund. We have developed a program where, in lieu of a gift, a donation can be made in the name of a loved one, who will receive a card from the Angel Fund. It is a core value of this committee to inform and gain support from our great community. At present, we have the third annual Angel Fund 5K run on June 1, 2014 at McDade Park. We also offer t-shirts and mugs available both at the hospital, and at any of the VREC tables during the many local events throughout the year – 100% of these profits go directly to the Angel Fund.
Does My Pet Qualify?
- The patient and family must be recommended by one of VREC’s veterinarians, as well as their general practice veterinarian.
- The patient must be up to date with routine vaccinations, spayed/neutered and the owner has no history of animal neglect or abuse. VREC will call your general practice office to verify this information.
- The patient must have a good prognosis (a high chance of successful outcome).
- The owner is required to have exhausted all other efforts of payment, including, but not limited to, Care Credit, cash reserves, lines of credit and friends/family.
- The availability of funds is variable based on charitable donations and funds may be limited.
- After the owners have met the above qualifications, they are required to sign a release allowing VREC to use the success story for continued fundraising, as well as agree to maintain a good relationship with their general practice veterinarian.
Please continue to check this link and the website for all upcoming events, news and further stories for the animals we’ve helped. For more information on the Angel Fund or to make a donation, please call our Hospital Manager, Ann Breakey at 570-587-7777.